Provides free video chat and calls to friends and family
IMO Beta is the beta version of IMO Messenger, which is an all-in-one Android messaging app that lets you communicate without the hassles of different platforms.
Use IMO Messenger to communicate with family, friends and business associates without concern for which platforms they prefer. The app supports Google Talk, Facebook, ICQ and dozens of other services. When new services are added and tested, that testing is done here in the beta app first. The ability for gamers to communicate with other Steam users just recently came out of testing and went live.
Simply add contacts without worry about platform. Let’s say you’ve added Mom, who messages you from Facebook, and Bob from accounting, who messages you via AIM. Replies to Mom automatically go to Facebook. Likewise, replies to Bob automatically go to AIM. In addition, you can set up Bob’s messages to only notify you during business hours. Later messages will come to you in the morning. IMO supports images, videos and video chat. Conference calls are supported as well, including with large groups, and enhanced stability is one the aspects being tested in the beta.
IMO Messenger continues to be a work in progress. IMO Beta is a testament to that. The development team is very active, and if you want access to the latest changes and features, then this is the app for you. Be mindful that this version may be even buggier than the standard release. It may crash and exhibit all kinds of weird behavior. It usually won’t, but it’s worth being prepared for.
- Communicate via text, voice and video
- Most major text and video chat services supported
- Works with Wi-Fi and cellular service
- Beta versions can be unstable
- video call improvements
- connection improvements
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CALL_PHONE: Allows an application to initiate a phone call without going through the Dialer user interface for the user to confirm the call.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_LOCATION_EXTRA_COMMANDS: Allows an application to access extra location provider commands.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- BROADCAST_STICKY: Allows an application to broadcast sticky intents. These are broadcasts whose data is held by the system after being finished, so that clients can quickly retrieve that data without having to wait for the next broadcast.
- CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE: Allows applications to enter Wi-Fi Multicast mode.
- CHANGE_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to change Wi-Fi connectivity state.
- GET_PACKAGE_SIZE: Allows an application to find out the space used by any package.
- GET_TASKS: This constant was deprecated in API level 21. No longer enforced.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES: Allows an application to request installing packages. Apps targeting APIs greater than 22 must hold this permission in order to use ACTION_INSTALL_PACKAGE.
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: Allows an app to create windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other apps. Very few apps should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.
- UNINSTALL_SHORTCUT: This permission is no longer supported.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to write the sync settings.